Saturday, September 24, 2011

homecoming

I have always loved being a teacher.  Usually, when I tell people that I choose to spend my days with middler schoolers, they give me a terrified look.  I don't know why, but I really enjoy that age and for the most part, I'm grateful to get to spend my days teaching and learning with 11-14 year olds.  But, if I'm being really honest, I have to admit that this fall has been a struggle for me.  Back to school has always been one of my favorite times of year, however, this year I'm really searching for a balance....wondering where that joy in teaching has gone.  It's left me a little bewildered.  I didn't see this coming.

After Peach was born, I was excited to go back.  She was a fussy baby and I really needed that creative outlet at school.  I felt revitalized after a day of challenging work.  I was excited to see her at the end of the day and I felt like that was a gift.  Because I was at work all day, I had the joy of looking forward to seeing her.

Plus, I got to spend the majority of my afternoons, evenings and weekends with just her, so it didn't seem like such a sacrifice.

Enter Tulip....and everything has changed.  Now I'm trying to figure out how I can be the enthusiastic teacher I've always been and then come home to split my time between these girls.  It's been hard.  When I'm at school, I'm thinking of home.  When I'm at home, I'm thinking of school.  And I'm feeling guilty that I'm not giving either one my best.

Well, this week was homecoming.  I remember it being such an exciting time when I was in school.  The weather this week was perfect and the kids were excited.  So, I decided to put aside my whiny attitude and join in.  I can't say that my heart was fully in it, but we did have fun.

Each year at the homecoming pep fest, we have pig races.  Each advisory group decorates their pig.  Here's how ours turned out.


We named her Penelope....



...and although she didn't win the race, she was for sure the cutest one!

The students enjoyed the parade and the pep fest.  
I smiled as I remembered my days of sports and friendships and big nights like this one.


But the best part of homecoming was coming home.....


We got the girls bundled up, ate a quick supper and headed off to the game.  It was a perfect autumn evening.  Peach found some friends and enjoyed shaking her pom pom while watching the cheerleaders.  The football team won and we made a sweet memory as we cheered them on.


Snuggled my girls a little closer that night thinking about those guys out there on the field.  Big seniors....but weren't they just in 7th grade yesterday?  Soon these girls won't be sitting on my lap in the stands.  I'll be the one cheering them on.  But today they still fit in my arms and no matter where life takes us, the best part of it will always be coming home to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment