Friday, June 22, 2012

berry-d treasure




pickin' berries was number sixteen on the summer fun list this year
can you believe that in all my 29 years, i'd never been to a berry patch?



the weather has been CrAzY around here lately, but today was calm and dry, so I called up the local berry patch only to get a message saying that due to the hail and rain, they were closed early this year

WHAT??!?!?!?

the rest of the message said that if we were interested in picking raspberries, we could call another number to see if they were ready.

so, I dialed it up and the lady told me that although they had just recorded the message i'd heard, they were going to be open for a few more hours for any last strawberry pickers

i did a little jig right there at the breakfast table and we tore out of the house in a flash!


 The kind lady on the phone warned me that there was very little left, but I wasn't in search of much:

  • Just a cup and a half of strawberries for the strawberry rhubarb jam I wanted to try out
  • And a memory  


 She was right.
There wasn't much.
But, we dug and peeled back and tossed the damaged, rotten ones in search of our berry-d treasure


It became a little game...
I found one!
Jackpot over here!
This one is a keeper!





and after about an hour of searching, we came home with 8 pounds in our box and at Lord knows how much in our bellies...



it must be noted that this little petunia was on the brink of turning into a strawberry with all the delicious red juicy-ness she shoved into that little mouth



i pretty much had to hose them down when we got home :)
the jury is still out on their clothes - they are soaking as we speak.


I had enough for the jam and three freezer bags full of little ones to save for smoothies later on.

Sweet day with my sticky little berry pickers.
And to think - we almost missed it!

Little blessings......Thank you, Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment