Wednesday, April 24, 2013

still one

Well....here it is.
Today was the last day of ONE.
The last day of being one year old...on the brink of being able to valiantly hold up two proud, chubby fingers.

Two years ago tonight, I was feeling icky.  I crawled into bed with a headache, woke up an hour later and alerted J that we needed to go...like now

seven hours later, i was holding my spring tulip

fast forward 2 years.  tonight, j and peach are away at their wednesday night awana fun and it's just me and tulip.

naturally, we put on our galoshes and headed out to make a memory
just me and her

 

a few blocks away, we strolled up to our very favorite place in town. we were greeted by the owner, who told me to bring the stroller right inside.


we had some birthday ice cream, which the owners refused to let us pay for...you don't get that kind of lovin' just anywhere


i almost had to wrestle this kid to get her to share the monster cookie ice cream.
the girl knows what she likes

we sang "pop goes the weasel"
and she gave me sticky kisses while smearing ice cream all over one of the three shirts that still fit me


we had to fight some spitting rain on our way home...good thing we had the rain boots goin' for us

 once we got dried off and snuggly, her only other birthday request was games on the i.pad,
playing Elmo's Monster Maker to her heart's content without having to take turns with big sister...


when i think about where i was 24 months ago, i realize that tonight, i'm sorta feelin' the same way

i've got the "it could be any day...any hour now" feeling
and just like then...i'm excited...and sad

excited for this new person who will certainly open up a whole new space in my heart.
and sad that tulip is about to pass the torch of "baby" on to someone else.

very soon, this sweet baby of mine will become "big sister" and these 
wednesday night date nights will be shared along with a million other things

adjustments ahead for us all....
good, wonderful, beautiful stretching in our very near future

but tonight, she's still one
tonight, she's still my baby
so, i may just sneak upstairs and rock that one year old one last precious time before i open my arms to little miss two tomorrow morning


1 comment:

  1. I'm feeling the same poor mommy sad anout my baby turning two in just iver a month. Bittersweet for sure. Happy Birthday sweet Tulip!

    ReplyDelete