Monday, June 13, 2011

the farm

I'm no city girl....my heart is in the wide open spaces where I grew up...out in the country.  So, when we take Peach out to my hubby's family farm, the memories of childhood always rush back.  This trip was no different.

Grandpa had a new kitten for Peach to adore and she was tickled!


The kitten was dirty and kind of scraggly.  But Peach wanted nothing more than to love that little ball of fur.  She couldn't get close enough...couldn't hold it tight enough.  
She just wanted to love it....


...and be loved by it...


...and for a little while, nothing else mattered.


And as I smelled the familiar scents of the farm and thought back to my childhood, I re-learned something.  I say "re-learned" because I used to know this...as a kid.  

Somethings are loved because they are valuable.  
Other things are valuable because they are loved.

The kitten wasn't a treasure because it was worth any amount of money.  It was valuable, though.  It was worth something to Peach simply because she loved it.  Her love made it a treasure.  I need to live there more often...in the place where money, finances and material things don't matter nearly as much as the simple smile that a kitten can put on a 2-year old face.

Even though I'm the parent and the teacher, I find that my girls are the ones teaching me.

Thanks, Peach.  And thank you, Lord, that in this busy, fast-paced world, there are still wide-open spaces and simple moments to enjoy.  Amen.

Psalm 46:10  "Be still and know that I am God."


3 comments:

  1. Love it! What a sweet memory! I love when something you experience with your own babies makes you recall a childhood memory of your own. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well chronicled memory turned lesson, Leah. Love the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your comment about how your kids are teaching you! I find that so true...even though I am much older than my girls and (I seem to think) much wiser, I get stopped dead in my tracks by the faith and wisdom and lessons my girls are always teaching me!

    ReplyDelete