Sunday, June 26, 2011

tea party


One of the best parts of having girls is that I get to re-live my littleness with them.  One day, with ankles crossed just like a proper lady, Peach asked if we could have a "tea pawdee".  I smiled, thinking of dollies lined up in my childhood bedroom....we hauled out all of her "friends" and let the party begin....


The best part was the conversation.  It went something like this:

Peach:  Momma, you wan' coffee?
Me:  Yes, with cream, please.
Peach:  An' a pinsh o' soogar. (And a pinch of sugar.)
Me:  Oh, yes, you know just how I like it.






Peach:  Bear hungwy?  I give you two choices....you wan' waffles or fwench toas'?  Fwench toas'?  I give you waffles.  You wan' fwench toas'?  Okay.  Not too much syrup!
Me:  Laughing as I hear my words coming out of Peach's mouth.


Peach:  Momma....I yove (love) tea pawdees.
Me:  Me, too!
Peach:  Momma, I yove books an da bath tub an chocwat an...you!
Me:  Sigh.....and I love you, Peach....
Peach:  But, Momma...I don' yove domadoes (tomatoes).  I don' yike 'em.  Ish!
Me:  I know.....I know....

These are the moments that make the gigantic job of being a mom so very worth it.

When the tea party was over, I prayed for two things...

First, that I would never forget the sound of Peach's little voice that afternoon.

Second, that there would be many more conversations over tea...that someday we'd have tea as friends.  Not now....today I'm the Momma and she's the Peach.  But I prayed that the Lord would give me wisdom to raise these sweet babies so that someday they will be women that I admire and call my friends.  Not an easy task, but one that I am oh so proud of.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful application, Krug. (Danny Beth still calls you that!) Both Peach and Tulip will be wonderful friends in the same way you are to your Mama and my precious girls are to me. I lean into their wisdom, which is fabulous.
    FYI ~ No need to translate for the teachers. Deciphering hen-scratch is our specialty as well as making sense of 2-year-old tea pawdee tok. Priceless

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I can just hear her little voice and so hear you talking about choices and not too much syrup! Just precious!

    ReplyDelete