Monday, July 4, 2011

How do I love summer?

I haven't always appreciated living in the midwest.  It took a summer abroad in Costa Rica to realize how beautiful my home is.  When I arrived in Costa Rica, my host family gushed over pictures of the midwest.  I thought they were crazy.  
How could people who live in a tropical rainforest envy the flat, boringness of Minnesota?  
But upon returning home, I realized for the first time that this place is beautiful...I just never noticed it because it was so familiar.  

One of the things I realized is so amazing about this place that I call home is the wonderful blessing of seasons.  Each one holds something precious.  Today, I'm thinking about how wonderful this season of my life is.  

How do I love summer?  Let me count the ways....

bonfires

s'mores

strawberries fresh from the garden

juicy sweet corn

getting spoiled by grandma and grandpa

flip flops
(on the wrong foot, of course, but I love that she tries)

grass tickling your toes

my girls celebrating Independence Day...


This season is a blessing and next season will bring its joy into our lives.  I'm so glad we get them all.  I can't lie...I complain just like everyone else:  too many mosquitoes in the summer, winter is too long, fall is too short, spring is so muddy...

But, if we lived in a place without these seasons, would we enjoy these perfect days of summer as much?

"To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven."  Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment