Sunday, May 13, 2012

happy mother's day


today i thought a lot...

about my mom

and my grandmas

and all the admirable, broken, clumsy, beautiful, thoughtful, hard-working, tired, amazing moms i know

and how we've all failed a thousand times over
but how we're each doing the best job we know how




we started the day with church...had to leave about 25 minutes into the service because nap time just could not wait


and i kicked myself...because look at all these moms that can make their kids last.  they look so peaceful.  and here i am, slinging a diaper bag over my shoulder, almost hitting three people on my way out and rushing to the car with a screaming, snotting baby on my hip.


but, upon arriving home, i had some quality help from pint-sized mini-me as i planted my flowers for the deck.
and when beautiful blue eyes woke up, she watched us from her high chair, giggling and smiling and totally redeeming herself.



then, Peach had a blast running through the crazy sprinkler that her sister got for a birthday gift.
listening to her "watch me, momma" and "did you see me, mom?"
made me almost forget about all the ways i feel inadequate as a mom.






snuggled up against her as she fell asleep for her afternoon nap, i decided to give myself a little slack this mother's day.

i look back on the past 3 1/2 years of motherhood and oh, how i wish i could change some things.

heavens - i look back on an hour ago and wish i could change some things

but, these girls don't need perfection - just the presence of a mom who really wants to learn, grow, and love right alongside them.


4 comments:

  1. Ye who has not trounced out of church with a blustering babe, cast the first diaper bag. You think and do and praise and glory in your children without ceasing, Leah. Hats off to you on this Mother's Day, 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What type of camera do you use Leah?! I LOVE your photos... LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Holle - thanks. I have a Nikkon D3000. It was a bit of an investment, but I really do love it. While many of my hobbies have taken a back seat now that children rule the roost, I find that taking pictures is something that I can learn about and have fun with WHILE my kids are at my side. Things like scrapbooking and other crafty things I have to plan get-aways for and I figure there will be plenty of time for that when they're grown. When they're in bed, I have no time for the things I like to do - I have to clean my house then! So, it is a little hobby I can have while the kids are running around and it really doesn't take much...the camera does most of the work. I've taken a couple classes and read a good book called Mamarazzi, but other than that I find that with a good camera and the ability to shoot 5734907893475438 pictures and delete all the bad ones, I can usually get a few that I adore. I don't want to be a photographer or anything...just want to take good pics of my kids. :) the other thing I like about this camera is that although it has all kinds of bells and whistles that I am just now learning about (I've had it for 3 years) it is also simple enough for J to use...just point and shoot. :) hope that answers your question. we got it at best buy.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete