Sunday, July 17, 2011

a hard bargain

I seriously considered not posting this.  I knew it was one of those parenting decisions that not everyone would agree with.  But then I spent some time with the Lord asking him for wisdom in this adventure of being a mom and he reminded me that this is real life.  And real life isn't alway pretty or easy.

Since He already knows this story, here goes...

Disclaimer - this is not one of my proudest parenting moments, nor a glowing tale of my beloved Peach:

I already posted that we had SUCCESS with the potty training, but as I'm learning, kids sometimes take two steps forward and one step back.  While #1 is still happening regularly in the potty, #2 has been a little more tricky.  Peach hadn't gone for 4 days and on day 5 I was getting a little nervous about her health.  After many tears, a serious tummy ache and a confession that she was scared, I was desperate to get her to go.

And, of course, all this came on the heels of a disagreement with Hubby, Tulip crying unconsolably for what seemed like forever for no reason that I could figure out, and a wee bit of financial stress.  Because when it rains, it pours, doesn't it?

She finally did it...but it cost me.  I'm not much into bribing.  As a teacher, I've even read some of the research about how damaging it can be to train kids to think they need a reward for everything.  However, desperate times call for desperate measures.

What did it cost me?
A doll....
Back pack carrier for the doll...
Pajamas for the doll...
A trip to the gas station to get smarties....
And as if that wasn't enough...
I also threw in a promise to watch the CARE BEAR movie (formerly banned in our house because one of the characters says the word "hate"...I told you I was desperate!)






stinker!

This girl drives a hard bargain - but she did it and we were both relieved...literally!

At the end of the day, I seriously feared that I'm raising a...dare I say it?...spoiled brat.  Somebody please tell me I'm not the only one out there who wonders around each corner if I'm permanently messing my kids up.  Every little decision I make is shaping who she is and I'm often left questioning if I'm doing the right thing...does it ever get any better?

Long day...but despite the small battles, we are still so blessed.  I hope I don't sound like I'm complaining - I really do have everything I need and more.  But today was one of those days that I'm glad to put to rest.  Looking forward to your new mercies tomorrow, Lord.

"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness."  Lamentations 3:22-23

2 comments:

  1. We all have these thoughts as a parent. If a parent tells you they have never had those thoughts...they are lying to themselves. You are both amazing parents and are doing a great job raising 2 amazing little girls. Keep up the great work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All we can do is teach our kids what's right and wrong and steer them in the right direction. Where they go from there is up to them. I wonder every day if I am doing the right thing by my children. I just have to pray that the Lord will help me teach them to be good people and that He will help guide them along the way. From what I can tell by reading your posts it sounds like to me that you're doing an amazing job and I don't think you have anything to worry about. And anyways, isn't that smile on her face all worth it??

    ReplyDelete